Thursday, October 20, 2016

Oh baby!

Last week when I met with the oncologist on Monday, she mentioned the risks of chemo on my fertility.  When she was done, the nurse came in and gave me information on a fertility clinic.   I called when we got home and made an appointment for Wednesday.  The doctor was great, she explained how things work and recommended, based on the chemo that I would be getting, that I go ahead and freeze my eggs.  Because chemo was set to start in a little over 2 weeks, I had until Friday to decide due to the limited window.  


Dad got here shortly after the visit.  We talk over the information that I had.  There would be a follow up visit on Friday morning (day after surgery) and he would go to that with me.  In the meantime, I did some research and this is not covered by my insurance.  I would need to pay upfront and it is not cheap!  Luckily, I had the money in my savings account.  I did look into borrowing from my 401K and some other things, but taking it from my savings made the most sense.    

Pretty much!
On Friday, they took blood, did an ultrasound and then Dad and I met with the nurse.  She went through the medicines and how to do the shots.  There was 1 shot in the morning and 1 shot and 2 different pills at night.  She gave me some to get me started and sent us to a speciality pharmacy to pick up some more.  The meds are an additional expense.  While waiting for the meds, I got a call from the Livestrong Foundation, that I was approved to have some of the meds covered by them.  This was great news and saved me $1,000!  They would overnight the meds so I would have them the next day.  On Saturday I got a call from a program at Walgreens that they would also be donating some meds.  These programs are for girls like me going through this process due to cancer treatments.  

Image from Google. I can't take one of myself.
I have been doing the meds for almost a week.  I have been to the clinic several times for blood work and ultrasounds so they can make sure everything is progressing on track.  Yesterday, the nurse called and added another shot to the morning meds.  Tomorrow I will have a regroup with the doctor.

All the needles!
This is all happening so fast but it wasn't a hard choice.  I have wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember.  I didn't think I would be doing this part alone.  Single, very single, was my answer when the doctor asked about my relationship status. Don't get me wrong, Dad was great while he was here but this is just another reminder that there is no special someone.  But this will give me the best chance for babies when I find him...someday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie, this is Beth - Jarrid's girl. Aunt Virginia sent me your blog and I've read each post, your journey is so honest and you have a very down to earth approach to it, as scary as it is. Keeping you in my prayers 😘

    ReplyDelete