Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Let's talk about drains

I knew that surgical drains were part of the recovery, but like most people, I didn't really know what to expect.  Or, what was really draining.  The PS (Plastic Surgeon) explained to it the Twin like this - you know when you skin your knee and a clearish liquid shows up and then scabs?  It's like that but a whole lot more.  When my breast tissue was removed, my body knew something was missing and started producing lots of fluid to fill the space.  Eventually my body recognizes the implants and the fluid production stops.  Until then, I get to have these fancy drains.  

The drain set up
The nurse in the hospital said before these drains, women used to have dressings that needed to be changed once they were soaked.  I am so thankful for the person that came up with the drains.  They are a little annoying at first, but after 2 weeks, I am totally used to them now.

From Google so you didn't need to see mine

The drain looks like a hand grande, no joke.  When squeezed together and then capped, it creates suction to pull the liquid from my body.  I have 4, two on each side.  In the hospital and for the first week, I emptied them every 4 hours and recorded their output.  Now I empty them 3 times a day.   I came home from the hospital with cups (really used for pee) to measure the output of the drains.  

Measuring the output
For the shower I use the mess pouch from the hospital.  They are all made by volunteers for the mastectomy patients.  It certainly does keep the drains out of the way.  I am happy my PS let me shower 2 days post op.  I have heard some docs only allow sponge baths until the drains come out.  

Shower set up
Before the surgery, I looked at lots of different ways ladies managed the drains.  A friend recommended this {camisole}.  I ordered one of those and a {drain apron} from Amazon.  The hospital then gave me 2 more of the same camisole and a mesh shower pouch.  I have worn the apron the most since it has still been warm here in Denver.  If I put on black pants, it almost disappears.  The cami is good but the drain pouches are right under my boobs so unless I put on a zip up hoodie, it looks like there is an alien in my belly.  I have worn the cami under other shirts because it is easy to step into.  Then I wear the apron for the drains.  I even sleep in the apron so I don't worry about the drains over night.  It may be the best $9 I spent so far!

Apron + the cami

Barely there

Headed to the doctors

My alien belly

I see the PS this afternoon.  Hope he takes these bad boys out but I think I have one more week.  We shall see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment