Monday, October 17, 2016

Surgery Round 2

Things have been a little nutty the last few days.  My dad got here on Wednesday so he could be here for the surgery on Thursday.  For this procedure, they will remove 10 more lymph nodes to test and put in a port for chemo.  I hope to hear the lymph node results today.

My cousin in PA designed this shirt and 70+ of his coworkers are all wearing them!

Before the check in for surgery, I had to have an echocardigram done.  This is so there is a baseline to compare future heart tests to during and after the chemo.  That took about 45 min.  My implants kept getting in the way.  Oh well, nothing I can do about that.  After that was done, we went to check in at the surgery desk.  They took me right back to get ready - gown, IV, etc.  I did not have to do the nose to toes prep this time.  That was nice.


Pre surgery slefie with Dad
Once the IV was in, Dad came back to sit with me.  Finally Dr. B came in to chat.  She had requested that Dad wear a pink shirt, just like Mom and the Twin had.  She was so happy to see him in pink.  He was also a big hit with the nurses as well.  He was easy to find in that shirt.  She went through the procedure, make some marks and with that, it was time to go!

I woke up in recovery, Dad came back for a minute.  I also saw Dr. B, she said everything went well.   She did have to put in a drain under my arm to help with the fluid.  They took a check xray to make sure the port was in the right spot.   I also had a patch behind my left ear to help with nausea.  The only con to this was it gave me dry mouth.  Ice chips were my best friend!  After a shot stay in recovery, we were on our way home by 3pm.  

The Chemo port
I was a little out of it the rest of the day.  I talked to family and was in and out of naps.  Friday we got up to go to an appointment at the fertility center.  I will get more into this in a separate post.  I was feeling pretty good on Friday.  Got up, took a shower and washed my own hair.  Took it easy most of the day.  I was sitting on couch when all of a sunned there was a shooting, hot pain running down my arm.  I had no idea what was going on, this was brand new for me.  It brought me to tears it hurt so bad.  I think I scared Dad too.  It didn't last too long but I knew we needed to call the doctor.  By the time she called back (less then an hour) it had happened again.  She said the tube from the drain was most likely hitting a nerve causing the pain.  She said we would get the drain out on Tuesday.  


I spent the rest of the weekend trying not to aggravate the drain tube or the verve.  (This means a lot of Netflix).  We did make it to the grocery and hardware stores for a few things.  And Dad cooked elk steaks on the grill.  Sunday was the best day with no nerve pain.  This was supposed to be the easy surgery, but if this is as bad as it gets, I can't complain too much.  

Add caption


Oh and some good news!   I  found out I’m a #FABtober recipient! So excited to enjoy my fabulous { Estee Lauder } makeover experience at Nordstrom with my squad! Let’s raise awareness with { The Pink Agenda }{ FABUWISH } and Giuliana Rancic to support the ultimate wish of finding a cure for breast cancer: http://bit.ly/GiveFABtober16 


No comments:

Post a Comment