Monday, August 1, 2016

It's Not a Tumor

I love a good Kindergarten Cop reference...I should probably start at the beginning since I jumped right into the news on my first post.  Because after people, especially the ladies, find out about my diagnosis, the first question is "how did you know".  Truth is I didn't know and never thought I would have heard those words.

I found a bump in my right boob while in the shower.  I just thought "oh this is weird" but didn't think too much of it and figured it would go away.  Every few days I would see if I could still feel it.  It felt like a mini gum ball at about 8 o'clock (thats how the docs talk about it, like your boob is a clock).  The pesky thing stuck around.  I went back to PA for the 4th of July weekend.  I surprised my Aunt who had been diagnosed with throat cancer just a month before (right around time I found the bump.  While we were laying in bed chatting (something we do often when I stay at her house) I told her about it.  She felt it and immediately said I needed to have it checked out.  Well it was 11pm so nothing until the morning.

I called an OBGYN in Denver recommended by a friend to try and get an appointment.  The first available was July 25th (I called July 1).  I thought that was far considering I was telling them I felt something in my boob.  Next I called my old OBGYN to see if they could fit me in.  Too bad it was a holiday weekend and only one doc was working and she was on call for C-sections.  The office manager, however, suggested I go to an Urgent Care.  She said anyone who saw me would need to send me for a mammogram and an ultrasound.  The Urgent Care could get the process going.  So in the car we got.  I called my mom on the way.  I hadn't said anything to her yet since I thought it was nothing.  Oh and we were supposed to be leaving for the beach in the early afternoon.

We were at the Urgent Care for less then 90 min.  They called me back, weighed me, asked why I was there, felt me up, wrote the order and we were done.  The following week I called and booked the mammogram and ultrasound.  Went and had those on July 12th.  The staff was great where I went.  Once they took you back it was like a spa.  They gave me a warm robe to put on and knowing you are there for a diagnostic test and not just a routine, I think they take extra good care.  There was a doctor on site to look at everything right then and there.  After the initial mammogram pictures, he asked for a few more to get a better look.  Once those were done it was on the ultrasound.  Again, the tech was super nice.  Once she was done the doctor came in to chat.  He confirmed they could see what I was feeling and the tissue would need to be test via a biopsy.  These initial tests just let them know if something is there but have no way to say what it is.

The biopsy was scheduled for July 19th.  As I mentioned, I was at a 2 day planning meeting.  So I left the meeting in the afternoon, went and had the biopsy and came back for the rest of the afternoon session.  Once that was over we went to dinner, had drinks and everything was great.  I really didn't think twice about the procedure from earlier, except the fact I was wrapped so tight!

Getting ready to leave, that's ice in my bra!

When the phone rang the next morning and it was Bonnie with the results, shocked doesn't even cover it!  You can read about the news {here}.

1 comment:

  1. Can we talk about how sexy your bod is?! Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete