Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Results & Options

Finally some good news.  The genetic test results came back and I tested negative for all 25 genes.  This is good news because the genes increase the probability that the cancer will return.  In some cases the gene puts you more at risk for other cancers as well.  This was the last piece of information we were waiting for to determine the best treatment plan.  I see the surgeon tomorrow morning.

I have been back and forth about the treatment options - lumpectomy + 7 weeks radiation and possibly chemo or the mastectomy.  There are pros and cons to both but I wanted to have some idea which was I am leaning before getting to the appointment tomorrow.  I have done a lot of reading and and still so undecided.  Many girls my age opt for the mastectomy because of the longer life span.  Neither option provides a longer life, but there is more chance the cancer could come back with the lumpectomy vs the mastectomy because they are not taking all the tissue.

Either way I hope to know more tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment